Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ugh...

I've just pulled the plug on IMWI. Feeling pretty glum.

I'm not positive that Wisconsin will be the best race for me in 2011 - I might need to take a look again at the entire schedule of races and locations and think about what will suit me best in terms of the timing vis-a-vis the academic calendar.

A summer race might end up being better than a September one - Coeur d'Alene (June 26, 2011) or Switzerland (July - don't know the exact date). Lauren is doing Switzerland this year, so I can get a full report from her on whether it might suit - she's rented a road bike from a store there, and I'm sure I could do it without having to travel with a bike. I also have a college friend who lives in Geneva and did IM Switzerland a few years ago, so that's a minor incentive in that direction too. Coeur d'Alene might be more convenient, though...

For this year, in any case, I am going to have to live vicariously through what I hope will be a very full race report from Lauren - click over to her blog and wish her luck!

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Tough times - it does sound like the right decision at this point in your life.

Here is an interesting perspective that you might enjoy.

http://drjohnm.blogspot.com/2010/06/cycling-wednesdays-7-how-many-pegs-do.html

Leah said...

These decisions are hard to make, but it sounds like you made a sensible one. There will always be an ironman to do.

Lauren Klein said...

Agreed. Whichever decision was the least stressful decision was the right one, and it sounds like you made it.

Lily on the Road said...

I agree with Leah, good decision, there will be other Irons to do.