Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday swim

That is a lovely way to start the day--the way I feel when I get up at 5:15 is basically along the lines of Not quite as terrible as you might expect, but it is all good once I'm actually in the pool. I am determined to convert myself into an early riser, against the huge weight of years of experience the other way & also a strong genetic bias towards late nights (Seymour Benzer's fruit flies!). Sleep is a slightly intractable problem...

Warmup (really it was 300, but I missed a 50 somewhere in the progress from blackboard to lane): 3 x 250 (100 free, 75 back-breast-breast, 50 double-arm back, 25 fly)

First set (hmmm, I like this one--Thursday workouts are the best...): 6 x 150, 100 free 50 stroke, 1: fly, 2 and 3: back, 4-6: breast. The coach gave us an interval of 3:00 but that was what it took us to actually swim them, so really we went on 3:30 to keep it all clear...

(Elegant!)

Second set: 12 x 50 pull, odds butterfly down breast back, evens back down free back.

The faster lanes had some sprint 25s at the end but this was all we had time for. This workout is too short--really it's only about 55 minutes pool time if you're not in the pool right at 6:00 sharp, the Young Things (who are absurdly lean and muscley, it is ridiculous, it is really as though they are a different species) are hovering waiting to get in right at 7:00...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Too short!! (I rarely swim longer than an hour.)

Unknown said...

I haven't swam fly since HS Swim Team. That was my event. Maybe I'll have to get a few 50s of fly in tonight just for kicks.
I did my first flip turn in 20 years last week and nearly drowned myself doing it, mostly becuase I was laughing so hard at it underwater...