Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Swim!

I must confess I felt a slight aversion as I wended my way to practice - I even stopped and checked email on my phone in case there was a message saying my laptop was ready to pick up at the repair place, as I felt that would justify skipping practice. (Very keen to be back on my real computer!) However I don't know why this is so, because as soon as I am in the water it is entirely enjoyable. We had a funny lane today, four of us at quite similar paces for our freestyle, only fastest guy was unacquainted with pace clock and two of the three have very vestigial fly and back only, so that speeds are mighty uneven. (Very pleasant folks to swim with, however, which is the more important thing.)

We didn't really do this "test set" properly on the clock, as there were many stops for regrouping, but I was pleased that it was even sort of doable - even just a couple weeks of swimming and I'm quite a bit faster again. I dimly remember a spell where it would not have seemed extraordinary to me to swim 10 x 100 on 1:50, and I even think I might have sometimes been swimming hundreds on 1:45 - this gave me hope that such a thing would be possible....

Warmup (partial): 50 free, 200 IM drill, 50 flutter kick on back, 50 dolphin kick (i.e. first half of 200 IM kick)

"Test set" (this is the one where we were not going smoothly through the whole set):

100 on 2:00
50 on 1:20
100 on 1:55
50 on 1:20
100 on 1:40
50 on 1:20
100 on 1:35

That was where we fell off - just a couple seconds short, I was swimming on feet of guy in front of me and could have finished more quickly but on the other hand it was because I was just in back of him that I was swimming so comfortably at that pace to begin with. So it sort of evens out.

Then 2 x

200 as (2 x 87.5 free, 12.5 fly - ARGHHHH, faster lanes got to do whole length of fly!) on 4:15

6 x 25 alternating back, breast on :45

3 x 50 free descending on 1:15

25 fly sprint on :30

25 free easy on 2:00

--

50 easy swim down

2150 yards total (that seems short? but I guess we were a little late warming up, and probably ended a little early)

[ED. ADDENDUM: Yes, there definitely was another bit, it's coming back to me now - we had fins. Oh, yes, 3 x 100 as 25 kick on back, 50 back, 25 free build. That may have been it - that brings things to at least a more plausible-sounding total, I will count it at 2450.]

1 comment:

Black Knight said...

You are swimming well, congrats.
However I consider crowded a lane with 4 persons.
What about a swim in open water when you will come here?
If bad season, of course, in the pool.....