Friday, May 6, 2011

An unsatisfactory sequel

I wanted to do two hours on the treadmill, but I just didn't have it in me. In retrospect I think it may have been unrealistic - the story of this whole semester (of my whole life!) has been one of extreme and impossible overload, insomnia/anxiety tip-over and then systemic erosion of willpower for whatever's left of the dregs of obligation after the main vessel has been cleared. I have pushed too hard over the last couple weeks, that's the long and the short of it. This sort of thing is the price one pays for it.

(Needless to say, I am not very happy about flaking out on a workout, but it is just going to have to go down as one of those things!)

1:07:24, 5.2mph base speed (1.0 grade), every fifth minute on a steeper incline (mostly 3.0, some 6.0 until I realized it was making it seem increasingly unlikely that I would continue), avg HR 138

pretty even mix of zone 1 and zone 2

I got off at the one-hour mark for a quick pee break, and had to give myself a stern talking-to about getting back on again - but 6 or 7 minutes into the second hour, I just mentally no longer had the gumption to stay on! I think I should have got myself over there either earlier in the day or with more calories in me, but possibly it was just overreaching even to think I was going to be able to do it. It is just so warm and airless in there!

This is a "recovery" week; I think I'll do one half-hour run outside in the early evening on Saturday or Sunday (I have no heat acclimation, so there's no point trying for a longer one outside - I know that even 30 minutes will be pretty taxing - it's 85F and 70% relative humidity, it takes getting used to even for those better suited to heat than I am). I want to ride both weekend days, but am still undecided about whether to stick with original plan of 2 hours tomorrow and 3 hours Sunday or to perhaps try and do another 5-hour ride on Sunday; it's a pity for me not to get one in while I'm here, in a way, in the land of no bridges! I am not going to take another stab at the two-hour treadmill run tomorrow morning, though I suppose I could; it seems too likely that I will flake out on it again, and really as long as I leave very early (traffic is more an issue than heat - roads here are dangerous!) it would be a much more enjoyable thing to have a bike ride.

No comments: