Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I'm back!

Ah, I can't even say it's been an ordeal not exercising - I haven't particularly enjoyed it, sure, and I don't like the feeling of not exercising, but I've been so busy that it was relatively OK. Medical appointment and PT Thursday gave some resolution and clearance to get started again, with caution: doctor's verdict is that I have hip bursitis, no arthritis in hips and some arthritis in spine (not great, but OTOH imaging often shows things that don't really affect day-to-day life, so I'm not too worried). Basically he says that for weightlifting longevity (you can do it till you're 90 if you're smart), less running and more yoga will pretty certainly be in order. I take that to mean short daily running being better than major endurance stuff, though I am optimistic that I should be able to have the amount of running I consider optimal without undue pain (i.e. run most days, 30-60 usually and once a week 90 - it would be hard to claim it is one's right to do more than that!). MORE YOGA!

Thereafter had a good midday session with Jason at Fusion and am determined to get back to proper PT routine, though I didn't do well in subsequent days: dawn-to-dusk conference at Columbia Friday, 5am pickup the next morning for flight to Vegas, friends picked me up and fed me and took me on wonderful trip to Zion National Park! We walked a bit early evening Saturday and did a longer hike (nothing crazy) Sunday. Monday I got to the Bellagio late afternoon and did a short version of back stretches, but had no vim to exercise. But this morning I woke up feeling very happy that it was time to get back at it!

GLORIOUSLY for me (seriously, I was overwhelmed with the feeling of what a fortunate life I'm leading) there is an 11am "yin yoga" (sort of like a deep stretch class - the yin yoga in Cayman i s more like meditation + restorative) that is PERFECTLY suited to my back/hip/hamstring needs. Did that class (will do it again tomorrow, though I don't think it's an option Thurs. or Fri., did a few more stretches after and then did 35 minutes on the treadmill.

:35 as 10:00 warmup @ 4.5, 5 x 2:00 @ 5.5, 1:00 walking recovery, 3 x :40 @ 7.5, 1:20 walking recovery

No comments: