Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday bike

Had a truly nice bike ride this morning - don't know how much actual cycling fitness I have retained from this spring's training, but it is noticeably the case that after a spring doing 6- and 7-hour rides, a 2:20 ride feels like NOTHING!

(I have said it before, really cycling here - at least at 7am on a Sunday morning when there is no traffic - is more relaxing than in NY, there are no bridges or complex intersections or hills next to precipices!)

Saw various folks I know out there, and also had a funny exchange at the Bodden Town Texaco, where I stopped on the way back to buy a Coke to drink and a Gatorade to top up the Camelbak. I walked out of the store with a drink in each hand; a middle-aged guy ambled up on a bike, his eyes fell to the beverages in my hands and with a twinkle in his eye, he asked, "Taking on cold petrol?" It was a good line...

Rode to the Lighthouse and turned around at the 1:15 mark; there is a noticeable headwind on the way out and a very nice tailwind on the way home (1:15 as opposed to 1:05, at fairly consistent effort level).

2:20:58, 34.53mi, avg speed 14.7mph

zone 1: 1:28
zone 2: 1:28:57
zone 3: 52:58
zone 4: 1:15

2 comments:

Black Knight said...

I have never rode 2h 20'!!!! and for you is nothing!!!
Sei grande!

Anonymous said...

That is a good solid pace for that length of time! As long as you work out at least once per week, you can maintain your fitness for quite a while. Your ride sounds lovely. I dream of getting back out on my bike in beautiful weather, but alas, I have to wait for more healing and better weather! Our highs are still in the 60s and we've only cracked 80 degrees once this year so far.