Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday spin

I did not have the morning vim to get up at 6:15 and ride outside, alas! Didn't run on the treadmill yesterday morning either - still battling residual fatigue from Ottawa and ongoing worries about the situation there. But I had a good one-hour workout on the spin bike at the condo just now (another good one from the invaluable Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling - I am a huge fan of this book).

16:00 warmup

set 1:

4 x 3:00 in zones 2-5: seated at 70rpm, ramp up to maximum exertion by last interval (1:00 rest interval)

5:00 rest

4 x 3:00 in zones 3-4, with last 1:00 standing at 60rpm, higher gear than first set (1:00 rest interval)

5:00 cooldown

1hr total (avg HR 138, max HR 166)

zone 1: 13:01
zone 2: 20:06
zone 3: 8:06
zone 4: 11:41
zone 5: 2:30

I think I actually had more zone 5 time on the second set, as my left knee was feeling a bit tender and I wanted to be careful about riding seated in a very heavy gear. Anyway, it was very good. I will try it again sometime in the next week or two and see if I can't do a better job getting the HR into the right zone and moving it higher over the course of the interval.

I will hope to ride outside next Sunday early; really it's the only day when traffic doesn't make the whole business singularly unwise. But indoor workouts are good too...

No comments: