Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday intervals

The running class at Chelsea Piers was amazingly good! I am truly delighted, though the fact that makes me want to weep is that it is on Mondays and Wednesdays at 7pm and I literally cannot go again until December (well, there is something I can try to reschedule on Wednesday the 18th, then I could go one more time pre-marathon). ARGHHHHHHH! I should not schedule my teaching for Monday nights, that's the long and the short of it...

C. and J. came as my guests, and we really had a lovely time. The fellow who does the class is quite inspiring (he is obviously a very fast runner and an experienced coach, I am really looking forward to going to that class quite regularly as soon as my schedule opens up a bit).

I consulted him in a quiet moment as to my mile repeat plans for Friday - I had been thinking of doing 3 miles at 7:45 with 4-5 minutes jogging between each one for recovery. He suggested I would get better bang for the buck by walking my recovery rather than running it, and that though 7:45 should be OK, on the principle of ending strong & still able to do more I could try it as a descending set: 8:00, 7:50, 7:45. This seems to me like excellent advice, and C. and J. have been enlisted for some Friday-morning reservoir pacing!

We started with 15 mins. of core and plyometrics, nothing out of hand but a nice way of getting some of that stuff in. Then we did (not sure if I am remembering this correctly)

3 x 200m with two minutes of rest between

3 minutes rest

200m, 400m, 200m with two minutes of rest between

3 minutes rest

3 x 200m with :30 rest

It was a great workout! My fastest 200s were :46, and I was still at :47 on the final one, so that is good. 1:50 on the 400. I think the class tends to do longer repeats on Wednesdays (up to half-mile); I really want to go to these!

(Hmmm, tomorrow I have to get up early and buckle down and get a lot of work done - it is another day 'off,' but having solely pleased myself today, I must acquit myself of various obligations tomorrow! Will go to TNYA practice in the evening, though - it has been hard for me to get there this semester.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent! (Running 200's is so much faster than swimming them!)

Enjoy TNYA.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I about the collection should acquire more info then it has.