Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pace questions

Pondering paces: 6.1 mile loop at 52:02 (with a couple short water breaks off the clock), c. 8:30 pace - it is hilly, first bit was quite hard effort, avg HR 165 is basically half-marathon race pace...

(I want someone to offer magical divination techniques to tell me I am not overreaching to aim for a four-hour marathon!)

(My sprint times from the running class last week are commensurate with that sort of time goal, I think, and I believe that another year of experience in endurance sport is probably the biggest boost from last year's time...)

I WILL HAVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE DAY!

IT IS IN LESS THAN THREE WEEKS! THIS IS GOOD!

(I wouldn't mind if it were SOONER, though!)

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Jenny, have you visited http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm for help in calculating your race pace expectations?

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, race calculators may give you an idea of what you can do. I've been using Daniel's calculator, which has adjustments for temp and hills (http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html), and it seems to work pretty well for me. As you would expect, recent longer distance race times, such as a half marathon, usually give better predictions but can't hurt to plug in a few things than one to get a range.