Sunday, December 2, 2007

Run and bike #7

Not in the proper triathlon order, but in this month of short daylight hours and copious obligations there is no point being excessively self-critical, I will take things one step at a time.

An enjoyable run, only very slippery underfoot due to snow--I would have liked to go a little further, only the last part of the route seemed undesirably slick and it was starting to get dark in any case. 4.4 mi., 10:30 average mile pace, 145 average HR.

Got pretty much straight on the bike when I got home; I need to shower now and be out of the house in fifteen minutes.

Bike #7, 40 mins., 220 mins. total.

NB if I am going to be running all winter I need to get some more like train-running shoes, with better grip on the soles...

3 comments:

Levi Stahl said...

Well done keeping up on a rough day, Snow and ice and drizzle kept me from running today--though since I'm not actively training right now, it's not a big deal.

I assume there are good gripping winter running shoes out there if you look. I've never investigated it, because the running path along the lake here gets cleared pretty well. Places where it gets snowy or icy I tend to just lumber through on the balls of my feet, legs spread wide, like I'm a football player unable to make up my mind between two holes in the line ahead.

Anonymous said...

A question from someone who is not training for anything but daily 20 minute runs: How can prevent falling in the snowy sidewalk or paths? I did not got out today out of nervousness but I do not plan to confine myself for the rest of the winter. Yet, I was wondering about this today as well: are common sneakers safe? Also, what kind of gear do you wear on days when we're in the 30s or 20s? Any suggestions for us amateurs?

Jenny Davidson said...

Yeah, usually I'm on pretty well cleared stuff too--I should have run yesterday in any case but didn't have time, and it will be clear again by tomorrow...

XOPO: Central Park usually clear I think very quickly--but really we must just be careful! (That post has typo "train" for "trail," just noticed...) I was overdressed today, it seemed colder than it was, if it's 30 it's really not cold once you're running--I've got some good gloves that have a sort of extra mitten layer on top that you can then flick back when you get warm, but always by about 15 mins in I am regretting having them at all, except on really cold days...