Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tuesday run

Pure bliss. It's a lovely day, mid-30s and sunny, and the paths in Riverside Park are for the most part beautifully clear...

5.5 miles, 9:22 pace average (HR avg 146).

(I am very paranoid about slipping on ice, I am pretty much just not going to run outside if it is at all slippery: mostly I'm just a cautious person in general, for instance I think that timidity is going to be my ultimate limiting factor re: cycling, but also my mother slipped and fell in the winter of 1993-94, she broke her wrist very badly and it was an accident with fairly life-changingly catastrophic consequences one way and another. Some of the life changes were good, it was not all bad, and the worst-case scenario did not in fact come to pass [she is a pianist, and it was very unclear for some time whether she'd really be able to play again properly--but in the end, though she still has a lot of pain and loss of strength and mobility, she reshifted some priorities and in my admittedly biased opinion was playing better than ever by a few years after the accident]. But just because good things sometimes come out of bad ones does not mean that everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds--and I really would prefer not to break any bones myself!)

No comments: