Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wintry run of BLISS!

6 frigid miles

I almost talked myself out of it altogether - I'd projected a long one for this afternoon, but decided earlier that this wasn't wise on grounds of pressures of work & suspicion that my immune system might not be up to handling the aftermath - plus temperatures in the mid-20s (it hasn't snowed here yet, but it's damp and overcast and blustery).

But I am very glad I got out - I LOVE WINTER RUNNING! Especially the part where I turn around at 59th St. and am then running along the river directly into ferocious wind - it is amazingly and wondrously arduous...

Haven't run much over the last couple weeks, but I feel it is a deprivation, I must have some more good frigid runs before I go back to Cayman on the 18th! I'd like to do at least two longer ones between now and then, perhaps a ninety-minute and a two-hour, but that will have to wait till after I give this talk on Tuesday. And of course the main reason I haven't run much is that it is my rational decision that it is not a current training priority - but sometimes emotion should be allowed to override reason...

1 comment:

Levi Stahl said...

I usually feel like that--there is a real, special pleasure in winter running--but this morning I just wasn't feeling it. Blistering winds that simultaneously kept me from being able to hear the podcast I was trying to listen to on my iPod and made me ridiculously cold convinced me to bag it after about two miles.

Tomorrow morning, though . . . I'm aiming for five! We barely got any snow this week, and really it's not that cold, so I have no excuse!