Monday, May 14, 2012

Exercise orgy!

It basically was psychologically a weekend day: campus is virtually shut down because President Obama was speaking at the Barnard commencement (literally about 50 yards from my apartment), I worked a ton yesterday and just needed some downtime.  I'm just transitioning into the much more independent part of my year, where I don't teach and am mostly working at home on my own projects; I'm going to Ottawa next weekend, probably won't exercise much while I'm there and would like to pack in a lot of solid hours in the meantime.

In a very good mood now, particularly given good news just now re: major surgery a friend of mine was having today, which has gone according to best-case scenarios.  And Lauren was at Chelsea Piers for spin!

I biked down to the gym; first time I've been on my bike since late fall, the ride down felt rather fraught but ride back was fine, hopefully I will desensitize quickly to that anxiety (it is a bike path, I am not even riding on the street, though admittedly the Manhattan bike path is a more complex scenario than bike paths in many other locations!).

10 miles round trip bike (c. 50 min.)
1:15 Beast boot camp (I was the sole person training for much of the class, which is of course very good as it lets me go at my own speed and concentrate on getting things right - only one exercise was truly too horrible for me to perform competently)*
:55 spin

3 lavish total hours...

*The small-group version of the class meets on the sand volleyball court, and everything is harder in sand: this particular circuit of evil involved alternating the dreaded "frog hop," which I feel anatomically ill-suited to perform (not sure whether it is a function of short arms, lack of hip flexibility or both), then walking arms out to plank and doing a push-up, then back to frog hop - it is peculiarly horrible...

[ED. Posted this on my other blog by mistake!  A sure sign that I have truly fatigued myself!]

No comments: