Thursday, May 31, 2012

Run!

Indescribably glad to be back at home in my normal routine.  Just ran short and easy as calves are stiff, back is a little sore and it is coming into the time of the year when a mid-morning run on my usual route is uncomfortably hot - either I need to go out earlier (or early evening) or else switch to the shadier but hillier Central Park route.  Bit of both, probably. 

I'm about 14 weeks out from my big race of the year.  I'm actually really excited about it - I was undertrained for it last year, and then the course was (perhaps mercifully!) cut short due to weather-related damage to roads and trails, but this year will hopefully be the full-on experience.  Lauren's doing it too, and it is actually a race that suits me well psychologically - get the bike over with FIRST, then lots of beautiful bucolic point-to-point swimming and running in lakes and on groomed trails.  I will be one of the slowest if not the actual final finisher, and looking at past years' times puts me potentially around the eight-hour mark, so I'll basically be using a modified version of a half-iron/full-iron training plan and shooting for regular fifteen-hour weeks with a couple six-hour training days (rule of thumb of doing entire projected race duration over one or two days at least a couple times in training).  Week anchored on three-hour indoor bike on Saturday mornings (one hour on my own then double spin class), easy two-hour run on Thursday and a 1 one-hour run with zone 3 intervals; one additional run, quite a bit of spinning and some outdoor riding if I can make it happen; three swims a week if I can manage it (2 short technique, 1 long easy).  There's less biking and more swimming in this race than would usually be the case, so I am licensed to make swimming a bit more of a priority than I might otherwise.  Keep up the boot camp for a couple more months but figure yoga is more of a priority.  I'm just going to go for consistency in the training week rather than doing a very calculated build; travel will be slightly disruptive.

:44 (c. 4 miles)

No comments: