Thursday, May 18, 2017

Happy run-walk

The exact words in my training schedule: "1 hour easy (this can be walk:run in 1:1 ratio even)." Have only been doing 20-30 minutes so this was exciting, and I was musing on it to Brent the other day - the words "But I think I'll do 2:1 instead" may have emerged from my mouth, and he gave me a VERY skeptical look! And I had to admit - yes, it is the classic injured runner's logic...

Anyway I stuck to 1:1, with a view to seeing (a) how it felt while I was doing it and (b) how it will feel later in the day. Observations:

- hip is almost totally better, I'll continue to be careful but I'm not much worried about it any more
- back really benefits from walk breaks
- good dose of walking lets me really concentrate on form
- essential form issue: pelvic tilt! Keeping the sacrum "tucked under the pelvis" (as the yoga people say) really lets abs do their job supporting lower back, and prevents tension from building up there; also helps hip move freely in the socket (hip moving with socket rather than independently was part of my initial PT diagnosis - it's a consequence of tight lower back)
- the right glute-hamstring attachment is twingey right from the start (I believe it's where the sciatic nerve comes through the ischial tuberosity - PT is pretty sure impingement comes from there rather than from a disk, which I suppose is a good thing)
- but the rest of the hamstring was fine throughout, I didn't have that all-over tingling/numbness that is so unpleasant

Anyway, will be happy if I can build back up to longer runs, but no urgency to it...

1hr run-walk (1:1)

No comments: