Tuesday, August 16, 2011

RSR

I'm finally better from my cold, the swimming pool's closed and I only have 2 more weeks here to try and lay down some base endurance fitness! Hmmm, only three and a half weeks to my race, I must be realistic about the limits of what can be done in that time.

Today's workout was extremely enjoyable, though very slow. I 'ran' over to Sunset House with water reservoir and goggles/cap in Camelbak (2.3 miles, just over 28 minutes, avg pace 12:20/mi., avg HR 146), taking it easy to make sure that HR stayed in zone 2, and then I swam a nice easy 2K. There is a striped blue-and-yellow water trampoline in George Town harbor that is supposed to be 1K from the Sunset House dock (here are some pictures), so that makes a good turnaround point. Mysteriously the swim there took me about 23 minutes, which was pretty much what I was expecting, but when I stopped my watch as I got out on my return, I was at more like 58 minutes: either I took the long way back or there was a current slowing me down considerably...

Then I put my shirt and shoes back on, had a long drink of water from the Camelbak and jogged back through George Town to Brent's. The first part wasn't bad, there's some shade if you run along the land side of the road, but that last little bit is brutal, and in fact I stopped my watch a few minutes early and walked the very last bit: suddenly just much too hot! 2.06mi, 25:49, avg pace 12:33, avg HR 142, max HR 159.

So 54:00 running, 58:00 swimming - really it's a 2-hour endurance workout of a sort that's well suited to the race I'm training for. I have to get out there really early for some one-hour runs, I think; if you really are out the door at 5:30 or 5:45, it's tolerable, but even by 7am the sun is just very intense.

No comments: