Thursday, May 2, 2013

Run!

OK, that was super-nice. I curtailed my more ambitious initial plan, as the flowering trees in Central Park yesterday gave me a huge day of allergies after my bike ride - I had thought of doing 2 x 5mi upper loop (it's 1mi each way to park, that would have given me 12mi/2hr), but the pollen was overwhelming, so I ran out of the park after the first round and back over to Riverside, where the trees are less flowery, to do a couple more miles.

Other things of minor note:

-ran into C. just north of boathouse! We stopped to catch up briefly - he is coming back to running after a 9-month layoff due to the evil sciatica, so we will try to run together on Wednesday next week before I leave town

-alas, this iteration of the running shoe I've been using for the last four or so years is hopeless! It has a very stiff interior plastic bit on inside left heel that is persistently giving me a blister, even with Bodyglide on the spot and after I've softened the shoes up by running some miles in them. I think I have to switch to something different - might hit the triathlon store later today if I have time. I have some pull-on tri running shoes that have worked well for me, so it may be I will just switch to those as primary pair. But this pair must be demoted to gym wear - I was hobbling once I stopped running!

- HR monitor very unreliable for first half-hour, though it settles in after that. Might have to try using that electrode gel to get a better connection right away? Also - chafing!

- note to self - top priority of training is not to do anything that courts respiratory ailments! Running shorter/elsewhere will always be a better idea than stubbornly hewing to initial plan and then getting sick...

- note to self - left knee rather sore last night and during first mile of run today; also, lower right calf stiff. Might start doing those calf stretches again.

1:24:41/8.61mi. (9:50/mi.)

No comments: