Thursday, June 6, 2013

Long ride #1

Ended up doing it indoors at Chelsea Piers, for various reasons - next week I will do a proper one outside. The long rides for the first training block are "only" 3 hours. (I am loosely following Gale Bernhart's 13-week Ironman plan, but past experience has taught me that I do better just to make a template for the week and write the long bike and long run into my appointment book - if I have it all written out, I find it very hard to skip a workout, even if I really should skip based on pending injury or illness or just having generally overdone things. I didn't get home from theater and late dinner last night till nearly midnight, so it is not surprising I didn't bounce out of bed early to get on a bus with my bike!)

First hour: 5 x 8:00 (3:00 seated z2, 2:00 standing z3, 3:00 seated z3), 2:00 recovery
Second hour: very good spin class
Third hour: zone 2 (punctuated by emergency trip downstairs to cafe for a Clif Bar - I had clearly suddenly reached the absolute bottom of my energy reserves!)

plus 10mi round-trip bike to Chelsea Piers

3hr spin
10mi bike

No comments: