Saturday, June 29, 2013

Spin/run!

Even in a recovery week, you can do a decently long weekend workout, it is good, recovery week leaves a training-shaped hole in my life! (Useful for getting other things done, but really not as physiologically enjoyable as large amounts of exercise.)

Double spin at Revolutions Cycling - Saturday morning double spin is such an enjoyable part of my New York schedule, I realized it was worth taking advantage of the opportunity to mimic that when I'm here. Then I jogged home, rather slowly - it is overcast and a little rainy, which is good, but still rather warm!

Double spin 1:42 (avg HR 140, max HR 165)
"Run" 2.19mi/25:32 (avg pace 11:38, avg HR 147, max HR 165)

Just double-checking schedule for coming weeks. I'm keeping it very flexible, with the only stuff really written in being the long rides and a second long session on the bike indoors each week. I'm sort of going to go on a 10-day "week" for a bit of July, I need extra recovery time for travel. I'm going to stick with a two-hour run as long run for this next block of training, as I know I'm going to be walking a lot of the Ironman marathon and I think the recovery costs and risk of illness outweigh possible training benefits - I'm going to do a possible long walk/hike for time on feet.

Heavy weeks in NYC should also have a second outdoor ride - I'll be doing lots of spin classes as well, but I should almost every week be doing a separate hill repeat workout (there is an ideal hill leading up to the Alpine police station, that was the one I "tested" last week).

(I am also contemplating something slightly naughty - the acquisition of a triathlon bike! Agnostic on whether I would be comfortable enough on it to ride it well at IMWI, but I have my eye on doing an as yet unidentified fast flat half-Ironman race next summer - I'd like to get another sub-7:00 half under my belt, and flat and not too hot are the two priorities....)

Sun 6/30: 3hr (flat) East End loop
Wed 7/3: 3hr condo spin bike (Spinervals DVD of IMWI course - very useful)
Sat 7/6: double spin at Revolutions
Sun 7/7: 4.5hr (flat) East End loop
Mon 7/8: fly GCM-JFK
Wed 7/10: 3hr ride (hilly) 9W
Sat 7/13: 3hr spin at Chelsea Piers
Sun 7/14: NYC triathlon (c. 3hr probably rather warm exercise)
couple days recovery here
Wed 7/17: 4.5hr ride (hilly) 9W
Sat 7/20: 3hr spin at Chelsea Piers
Wed 7/23: 5hr ride (hilly) 9W
Sat 7/27: 3hr spin at Chelsea Piers (skip if overloaded)
Wed 7/31: 5.5hr ride (hilly) 9W
couple days off for travel to Vermont for
Sat 8/3: "Even-up" Triathlon (this one's going to be amazing - 3.5mi swim, 34mi bike, 13.1mi run!)
recovery days
Th 8/8: fly JFK-GCM
Sat 8/10: double spin at Revolutions
Sun 8/11: 5.5hr (flat) East End loop
Wed 8/14: 3hr condo spin (IMWI DVD)
Sat 8/17: double spin at Revolutions
Sun 8/18: 6hr (flat) East End loop
Wed 8/21: 3hr condo spin (IMWI DVD)
Sat 8/24: double spin at Revolutions
Sun 8/25: 6.5hr (flat) East End loop
Mon 8/26: fly GCM-JFK
Wed 8/28: 3hr ride (hilly) 9W
Sat 8/30: 1hr swim, double spin, 2hr run (Chelsea Piers)

Race day is September 8. I am excited!

No comments: