Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday bike-run

Well, it was not the workout I planned, and I still feel fairly direly unfit, but I did have a very nice little workout that has filled me with a sense of calm and well-being.

Oh, yeah - and maybe the 2-hour nap I took in the middle of the day helped also...

I had a far more ambitious one in mind - it was slightly cock-eyed - I was going to run 6 and then do a 90+-minute indoor bike - run first so that I guaranteed a good one, since I am really not very happy about results of recent low mileage - calories to be consumed on the bike - had 2 bagels at 11am (on v. starvingly empty stomach) and thought I would get started around 3pm - but then I fell asleep, I could not imagine doing anything but lying down in bed! - and then it took me forever to get the bicycle into the wretched trainer, including a part where I looked with incredulity at the skewer and the back wheel and felt that I had inadvertently made my entire bicycle fall to pieces... - by that time it was 4 - I thought I should scale back my total workout time and do a more traditional brick - which was a good idea, only I did not have any calories while biking, and then found myself really quite underfueled on the run - have now had a delicious glass of strawberry kefir - yogurt-averse will shudder - and it is too full of sugar to be what one would really generally regard as nutritious - but it has 10 grams of protein for 180 calories (1 cup), so it is a good recovery drink - and I like it very much...

So I did one of the Spinervals Time Saver workouts (basically, core of workout is 6 x 90 seconds hard, 90 seconds easy, then 3 minutes build, for total of about 35 mins.) and then ran four miles at such an easy pace that I fear it will have to be called jogging. Picked it up for the last mile - legs were loose by that point and also I could use up the last little dribble of gas in the tank without worrying about whether I was going to make it home. Very nice fresh day out there by now - it was torrentially raining again earlier, this is some crazy weather we've had here this week. Workout c. 1:20 total.

I have some COPIOUS training thoughts which I think I will save for another post later this evening...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you have any protein on those bagels? ;-)

Evil skewer. But you were not thwarted!