Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday swim

I am in an absurdly good mood this morning, full of vim and vigor and the conviction that I can and will do a full Ironman in 2010 - I cannot explain why it is so much my heart's desire, but it is - the magical allure of triathlon!

Good swim, including some coaching on fly from aquatics staff member and sometime TNYA lanemate M. He suggests that next time insomnia strikes, I should just come and swim anyway - it may be true, there was the special case yesterday of knowing I really needed to do a bike ride but swimming certainly has unique physiological benefits...

Warmup: 200 free, 100 back, 200 free, 100 breast, 200 free, 100 fly drill

Then (cannot remember exactly):

6 x 50 kick on back - flutter down, dolphin back - with underwater pushoffs (WHICH I have never tried before, but which strike me as magical and effective, why did I not try that sooner? It is like being behind the looking-glass to look up and see the backstroke flags shimmering through water!)

6 x 50 fly drill (one-armed, 3 on each side, 3 - 2 - 1 kick, etc.)

4 x 75 fly as kick-drill-swim

c. 1800 yards total

I have decided to have a splurge with some of my federal tax refund - I have just purchased ten sessions with a trainer at the Columbia gym whose bio caused my eyes to pop out of my head with excitement! I gave up my appointments with M. in November due to general brokeness, but I certainly noticed the difference without them - I'm going to use these ones to jump-start a good summer fitness regimen, but if it goes well, it might be that I should try and economize elsewhere and stay with a once-a-week strength-training session with a trainer - it is mighty good for accountability, in a way that signing up for a class is not quite...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good!

(Also underwater pushoffs have great benefits for flip turns!)