Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thursday afternoon run

A mentally restorative Riverside Park run. Clear, sunny, upper 20s--very nice...

6 miles, 10:00 pace, avg HR 151.

(Really HR was in the upper 140s, only tweaked up by the fact that in order to turn my regular run into 6.0 rather than 5.5ish miles, I have to add on little bits at the end, too hamster-treadmillish to run round in a circle but today I ended up doing a few times up and down various steep hills out of the upper part of the park. It is a mild pity, the way to extend the run properly involves a less attractive stretch at either end--either going onto the narrow and mildly dangerous underpass bike path and down to the sanitation pier at 59th St., or else locking oneself in to the river path known as Cherry Walk up until 125th St. and then through the parking lot at Fairway in a rather chaotic way back to the upper bit of Riverside Park. Makes more sense just to eke out an extra half mile in dribs and drabs, or else for a longer one to bump it up to eight or nine and do it properly by jogging over to Central Park and running the six-mile loop. However, on a slightly unrelated note, it is exciting to see that it seems that they may be finally filling in the missing bit of river path that has required one to detour ever since I first started running there--rather sooner than that link suggests! Some rather mesmerizing crane-type activity...)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm running over to NYRR today to pick up my packet for tomorrow's Gridiron Classic, and counting that as my run, but now you make me want me want to run Riverside Park. I love running alongside the river - it's somehow so much more peaceful than the Central Park loop.

Jenny Davidson said...

Oh, yes, it's really relaxing in Riverside Park, isn't it? I like the loop, and the hills are great for training (obviously you can get some hill stuff one way or another in Riverside, but mostly it's fairly flat once you're in the park)--and yet it has NONE of that feeling of tranquillity I get so easily in Riverside...

Have a great run tomorrow!