Friday, March 8, 2013

Blissful day of exercise

Yesterday was a write-off due to the cascade effect of a couple very minor medical woes! I have a mystery rash, on Tuesday evening I thought it was just oddly placed chafing but on Wednesday post-yoga I saw it was a grotesque rash on a part of the back that is not really fully visible (FORTUNATELY!). So I prioritized getting to the allergy doc on Thursday morning for my shots, so that she could take a look; she gave me some cream for it, but really I have to see the GP on Monday to see if I can get a fuller diagnostic. (It seems to be going away, but really I would prefer to find out what it actually is in any case!)

Once I'd called to make that appointment, it seemed to me that I should also make the other call I've been procrastinating on - a few weeks ago, I noticed with my tongue that there is some kind of a sharp spot or cavity on a tooth, it doesn't hurt but I've been meaning to call the dentist. So I did, and he fit me in for a lunchtime appointment (thereby scuppering my plan to attend the noon Swimtech workout at Chelsea Piers!), and has detected a broken filling which he will replace on Monday (the seal to the tooth isn't broken, so it's a relatively harmless sort of problem, but definitely good to get it taken care of before anything else happens to it). By mid-afternoon I was just frazzled - oscillated between thinking of run + yoga or just run or just yoga, and couldn't get out the door - and then my brother emailed to see if we could move our planned 7:30 dinner earlier, as he was getting off work sooner than expected. So the day was gone - we had a lovely dinner with G. at B & B - M. had tuscan bean soup and a burger, G. had pork schnitzel, I had tuna tartare and a meatball and fresh ricotta appetizer, then we shared the mini-ice-cream cones for dessert - it was fully psychologically and nutritionally restorative, and I am forced to conclude the day off from exercise was beneficial.

Today, though, was perfect! It is very snowy. I felt vim to run down to Chelsea Piers for spin class, imagining an epic man-vs.-elements scenario, but really it was just blissful, a beautifully quiet relaxing run - the path had been ploughed, there was some new accumulation but it wasn't slippery and the whole park was virtually deserted. True winter wonderland effect up at this end of the park! Spin class was great (only I have a surplus of phlegm still), and I had a lovely little swim after that - I am finally getting back in the groove of swimming. Had thought I would go to 4:30 yoga, but the phlegm excess made me change my mind about that, and I have to go back out for dinner again too, so quiet afternoon at home will be wiser.

5.2mi run/55min.
:45 spin (2 x 11min climb, 2min active recovery)
1000 yards swim (5 x 100 as odds free, evens fly drill; 3 x 100 as 25 fly 75 free; 100 IM; 100 free)

No comments: