Sunday, March 10, 2013

Swim!

I am laughing at myself, I am an idiot, how did I build it up to be such a big deal to go to a TNYA swim workout? I LOVE SWIMMING! I LOVE TNYA! The only reason I didn't swim much last year was that it is easy to stay in shape for 2 of the 3 triathlon sports and hard to do all 3 properly, and it was a tactical choice that I needed to bump swimming from co-favorite with running in order to get my cycling better (it is the highest priority for triathlon especially as you move towards longer races).

Anyway, I found the building without difficulty, and the pool; my friend K. was gatekeeper and gave me a huge welcome back. Pleasant slow lane, got an excellent workout, then had lovely meal afterwards with other swimmers at Coccola.

Warmup: 100 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull, 100 kick, 100 swim

Drill: 6 x 50 breaststroke concentrating on pullout (3-2-1 drill); 6 x 50 back with fins (kick-swim by 25); 6 x 50 free with fins (descending 1-3, 4-6)

Main set: 400 pull, 4 x 100 IM, 8 x 50 free (kick-swim by 25) - fast lanes did times 2, I halved it for the second set, so 200 pull, 2 x 100 IM, 4 x 50 free

The 90-minute workout really is great - we only ever had an hour of pool time at Columbia, which is often more like :56 if you're a few minutes late getting started. I much prefer being able to get in more yardage. If I do a 90-minute TNYA workout twice a week and 2 1000-yard swims after Monday and Friday spin, I think that will be plenty. That said, I am leaving town Thursday, so I won't be able to go to this workout again for many weeks, and I'm traveling a good deal in April, so attendance will be distinctly patchy! I do think I'll go to the Tuesday evening workout so as to really make sure I'm over the hump on the "real swim workouts are daunting" feeling.

3300 yards

No comments: