Thursday, March 13, 2008

Triaspirational bliss

Really it is illusory, I have a long list of work-related tasks that must get done today and tomorrow (and indeed I've got an awful further pile of 'em for next week's so-called break also!), but I have just had a very nice run that truly made me feel that all will be well...

I was sorting out various things last night and realized that partly by accident I've got a number of runs with friends coming up, and that this is actually a very good way for me to get totally back on track with running. Frankly I do not need a complicated run schedule, I just need to run three times a week (plus a fourth short brick workout) at varying speeds--which is of course well managed by varying running partners and distances!

(And I have let myself veer too strongly into reclusiveness these last few months also, I must steel myself and get back in the habit of having more human contact!)

Just now I had a lovely short run with postdoc J. in the park. I would think we run at quite similar paces, perhaps she's a bit faster than me but she's also been mostly doing shorter stuff, this is going to be great--I am betting we can have a regular once-a-week local daytime run commitment for sure...

On Saturday I am running in Central Park with my lovely former student L. (who is back in town for a visit). She is a longtime very accomplished swimmer and cyclist, and has recently taken up running--I see triathlons in her near future!

On Tuesday I think I will run with J. again...

On Wednesday I am running with swimming teacher I. in Prospect Park. She has sent me a very funny e-mail in which she warns me we will be running very slowly because pushing the jogging stroller with her baby twins in it up the hills in the park makes her feel like Sisyphus! Might see if I can persuade her to let me take a picture for the blog...

And on Saturday the 22nd I will have a nice longer one with trainer partner L., who unfortunately now lives at the opposite end of Manhattan but who is my original and most stalwartly faithful running partner!

3.6mi, avg HR 161, max HR 172, avg pace 9:50

(I think we were going faster than that! Have I really lost that much running fitness?!? Hmmm, I am having a problem with my Polar footpod--I finally got around to recalibrating it after that last half-marathon, since I had the 13.46 vs. 13.1 ratio to work with--only then when I put the pod back on my shoe, I accidentally put it on the other way up--and I think it's on the correct way now and was wrong before--so I do not want to put it back the other way--but I think I now totally have to do a proper calibration run and recalibrate yet one more time! Because it uses this inertial technology, the way up it is--to use a ridiculously childish expression--makes some difference!)

(Actually now I have gone and looked at this information page it seems to me perhaps I had it the right way round before, arghhh! I am going to take it off and put it back on the other way!)

(There is a bicycle-related flavor to this confusion!)

No comments: