Sunday, October 18, 2009

Long run

Just a quick post before I go and take the LONG HOT SHOWER OF MY DREAMS...

I had a stimulating but unusually taxing work week, and when I got home around 11pm on Friday night it was clear to me that I'd better move the long run to Sunday from Saturday. In the event, I couldn't even get it together to do a short workout yesterday - I just spent the day hanging around my apartment feeling shatteringly exhausted! Got some better sleep last night, and in fact fell BACK asleep in the late morning for 2 more hours (it is the hazard of reading Henry James in bed!). Around 2:30, realized that even in my groggy semi-waking state I had better get myself out the door shortly - there is little leeway in a marathon training schedule, I really needed to do a 16-mile run this weekend...

It is WINTER in NY! I actually almost cut the run short around mile 3 - I was staggering up Cherry Walk along the river towards 125th St., and the wind was so strong that I felt I was hardly moving forward. Almost worse than the physical arduousness was the auditory assault - IT WAS UNBELIEVABLY LOUD, in a way I find very tiring.

Anyway, I slogged it out and did the full 16. Almost the whole time I was running north (which includes the last 4 miles as well as much of the first 5-6 miles) I was basically fighting an incredibly strong wind. It was certainly a very slow run - on the bright side, though, I think my fitness is pretty good right now, in spite of not having put the run miles on my legs that I would have liked.

c. 16 miles, 2:57:04 (c. 11-minute miles), avg HR 141

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Slogging!!

Leah said...

I had the same sort of Saturday, minus the Henry James. Sunday long run was cold and windy. But the sense of accomplishment was that much more satisfying!

ShirleyPerly said...

Well done in that cold windy weather! I once ran a point to point course marathon with a headwind nearly the entire way. Very tiring!!