Monday, October 19, 2009

Postscript

I am laughing - I finally picked up today at the library my copy of Jan Olbrecht's The Science of Winning: Planning, Periodizing and Optimizing Swim Training - a recommendation from Chuckie V.

(As a book and information fiend, I find a post like that one ABSOLUTELY GALVANIZING - I've got some good reading ahead - the Maglischo volume looks absolutely amazing, I've only had time to dip in but it's pretty staggering - and how come I didn't already have a copy of The Lore of Running?!?)

Anyway, the Olbrecht book is quite hard to track down, but I requested it through interlibrary loan and am amused but not surprised to note that the library that provided it for me was Indiana!

And as I read that for IM swimmers in the base training period, "it is recommended to improve the aerobic capacity in each stroke and to avoid medley sets," with the suggestion that the coach should "select one, or at most two strokes for his main sets," I suddenly remembered that I forgot to log some IM in my previous post!

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Interesting comment about IM swimming. Indeed, I have only really swam freestyle lately and can do nothing else well, it seems.