Friday, April 22, 2011

Long swim!

And it was an absolutely lovely one, for some reason - the time went by in two shakes of a lamb's tail, mysteriously. Good to have the more meaty test set in the middle, I guess - I think I'll make sure to prepare workouts in advance for subsequent long swims.

Warmup: 500 as free with every fifth length back or breast; 500 as 5 x 100 drill-swim by 25 (front scull, fists, catch-up, thumbs-and-salute, finger-drag)

Then I followed Gale Bernhardt's test protocol to get what she calls "T1 pace" - you swim 3 x 300 with 30 seconds of rest between sets, then average them to get your 100-yard pace. I definitely went out a bit too fast on the first one, I knew as I finished that one up that I wouldn't be able to hold it, but she observes that an "accurate test is when all three 300s are within 15 seconds of each other," so really my times weren't too bad. (Albeit rather slow!)

5:43
5:48
5:53

Have just done the math very hastily with pen and paper (have to be on campus very shortly!), might be wise for me to double-check later on at a more leisurely moment, but it looks to me like that's 1:57/100 yards. Something to work with - I'll test again in four or five weeks.

100 easy

Then:

6 x 100 on 2:20 as 25 stroke, 75 free (2 of each in IM order)
4 x 100 on 2:30 as odds IM, evens free

3000 yards total (1:15)

No comments: