Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sea swim!

30 minutes - I will count it as 1500 yards, though I am sure I covered less than that distance (a lot of chop/current on way 'out' along shore, then much quicker coming back).

As soon as I got horizontal I found myself in the midst of an amazing school of tiny fish, bigger than minnows but smaller than anchovies. And I saw two different sea turtles within the first five minutes also, one of them very attractively sticking its head up above the water for a gulp of air (it is like something out of Alice in Wonderland).

I need a cheat sheet to tell me which fish is which - not heavily fish-populated right round here, but some interesting individuals to be seen here and there...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fishes! Turtles!! Swimming in the Sea! (So much more fun than the line on the bottom!)

Here's a jumping off point: http://reefguide.org/cat.html.