Monday, June 12, 2017

Deadlift!

I couldn't get out to run earlier, I was exhausted from a long day out yesterday at G.'s and just couldn't force myself out the door - in fact went back to bed and felt utterly useless! Did pull myself back together midafternoon and made it downtown (hahaha, psychological emergency mode plus heat wave, I am allowed to take a taxi!) to lift at 5 with the team. Which has made me feel much, much better. I slightly overdid it last week, PT sternly tells me not to feel like I should be doing all reps all sets as assigned, so I tailored workout as needed.

(1) conditioning circuit assigned as 6 x (20-yard prowler @ 50lb, 15 x medicine ball slam, 15 x walking lunges). I did no prowler (it has always bothered my knees and back, and given that it's for conditioning I feel OK just skipping it, generally I am doing more outside conditioning stuff than many of the other lifters), all 6 slams and 3 sets of walking lunges - I can feel the weakness on the right side towards the end of the set, and that is where I really shouldn't overdo it. Did some of my back exercises to fill out the timme (bird dog, piriformis stretch).

(2) DL set. Assigned, appealingly, as (a) 1 x 4 @ 82.5%; (b) 1 x 8 @ 65%; (c) 2 x 10 @ 72.5%; (d) 1 x 3 @ 80%. For future reference! The high reps I am really doing at low weights, I played around with the other numbers as appropriate - I am looking forward to being back in proper lifting shape!

So, anyway:

1 x 4 @ 161
1 x 8 @ 111 (10kg bumpers on bar, this is lowest it goes)
2 x 10 @ 111
1 x 3 @ 161

(3) 100 abs. Did some side and front planks as per PT instructions and finished out the rest of the essential stretches, including using lacrosse ball to open up lower back.

1hr and a bit. Will go home now and ice back, it's not painful as such but that is clearly the best thing to do after using the lacrosse ball so aggressively. I'll lift tomorrow with the team, it's fine having 2pm PT and 5pm bench, but will try and set up a daytimme session with Josh for the third workout - last week showed me pretty clearly that after having back painfully pummeled at PT (whatever we are doing that day, it's going to be something sore that should be following by going home and icing), it will not be sensible to go and squat - hopefully we can do Wednesday or Friday day.

No comments: