Friday, January 11, 2008

Blissful Friday afternoon workout

I fear it will sound annoyingly like gloating, but I am having the most idyllic day...

First I got a modest but respectable amount of work done while wasting enjoyably lavish amounts of time on the internet.

(I've finished the first full pass through the book manuscript I'm revising--this sounds like more work than it actually was, since it really unfortunately just involved me making mental and actual marginal notes as to what needs to be done. The real work still remains. But now I can go back and properly plunge into the first section--this is good...)

Then I went to the gym and had a super-enjoyable workout. 10 minutes warmup on the bike, then a bunch of core stuff (for some reason I really like doing that stuff, even though I have little patience for the other gym stuff--I am happy to report that the next-day verdict on the swimming injury is definitely "bruised" not "broken," but it is still sore enough that I rationalized not doing any shoulder presses or anything like that, slightly painful to close my grip around anything still, including a toothbrush or a door handle!). So lots of planks and pushups and suchlike. Then three treadmill miles, very good, I do after all have that half-marathon coming up not very long from now, and finally a quick dip in the pool, just ten minutes or so, to remind myself of how to do breaststroke and do a couple lengths of stroke drills...

(Sorely needed, at this point! I feel I lost technique almost as much or more than fitness over that break...)

But the most exciting thing today is still to come--a swim in the sea!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sea Swim!!! w00t!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, hope it heals soon! And WOW, sea swim! I hope it is great.