Friday, February 22, 2008

Sea swim!

The swimming-minded Sherlock-Holmes-type reader who was following along here in January may already have noted the similarity between the swim workout I posted yesterday and these old ones from then--and made the deduction that I am in the Cayman Islands!

(It is probably the wrong era, but I wish someone would write a Golden Era of Crime Fiction-type novel in which the crucial clue hinges on the design of a swim workout--i.e. someone's alibi involves them quoting a swim workout that could not have been designed by the [murder victim/]coach they attribute it to because it bears mental imaginative hallmark of some other swim coach...--the detective would have to have an unexpected knowledge of swimming culture and reveal all in the final chapter...)

The sea swim would be the clincher, though, on the location issue. Obviously I am not at home...

I hoped to make it to the gym for a core workout and a bit of a run this afternoon, but I was stymied by two small blots on an otherwise blissful visit--minor respiratory ailment causing mild lung pain, caused me to think my body is telling me to take it easier than I quite like--and also I am sorry to say that somehow my main bag never made it on the plane! I've got the one with the equipment end of training stuff (running shoes, goggles, bathing cap), but no bathing suit, no clothes (no sports bras, more to the point!), no toiletries...

I did not mean to give in to it, I am always wishfully and unrealistically thinking I am above such things (monastic bliss, no attachment to worldly things), but I did find myself rather tied to the telephone all day trying to sort out where the bag was--provisional early-evening verdict, Mexico?!?--a post-dinner trip to the airport has not really clarified matters!

However I did make the purchase yesterday afternoon (obviously!) of a rather too-small but perfectly wearable emergency replacement bathing suit that will serve as all-purpose athletic undergarment, certainly adequate for spinning if not perhaps for running...

The sea swim this afternoon was utter bliss, how lovely. You are looking down and there are interesting little domestic interactions going on among lovely aquatic creatures! Also I continue to experiment with the swimming check-points of Dr. Rod Havriluk...

(Which reminds me--check out Leah's great post about swimming with dolphins at Sea World.)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Thanks for linking to my post! I'm still elated from the dolphin experience.

Lucky you, back in the Cayman Islands! My (current) visit to a warm clime has made me realize it makes no sense to freeze for the entire l-o-o-o-ng NE winter.