Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thursday expedition

It was a delightful one, too, though I fear that I have plummeted back into seasonal malaise! Ugh, I don't know what's wrong with me - I feel quite under the weather, though more mentally than physically (but my knee is not quite right, and I've decided not to run this evening, just to be on the safe side - and I have a weird swollen gland and a sore patch high up on my throat, not a cold or an illness of the conventional kind but uncomfortable enough that I will make a doctor's appointment next week if it has not gone away by the end of the weekend - in fact I am going to take some aspirin and count the hours until unconsciousness is possible!).

EXPEDITION!

It was Triathlete L.'s idea - she picked me up in her car, with bike and a HUGE bag of stuff, and we drove to Harriman State Park for a lake swim and hilly bike ride.

Alas, we were SOMEWHAT thwarted, because at Lake Welch Beach it turned out that the only available area for swimming was TINY - the lifeguard claimed it was 25 yards, but I am fairly sure it was a bit shorter than that! ARGHHHH! We could not help but gaze at the lovely expanse of the lake and regret our law-abidingness...

But our more essential purpose was for L. to try on the wetsuit she'd bought online and see if it would do, and I wanted to make sure that I could still get into mine (which I have not worn since last summer), so at any rate we got the job done, even if it was honestly such a short swim that it scarcely deserves to be logged...

(200?)

Then we did one loop of the hilly bike course. It is BEAUTIFUL out there, I think we saw about 2 cars and 1 other bike the whole time we were out there - super-hilly - and it was a gorgeous day. I am contemplating the possibility of doing the Harriman half-iron race in May, only it is 4 x that whole loop, and I am not sure I will really be enthused for such a very hilly race! 15 miles, anyway, and a good solid workout.

In other news - I have a new niece - i.e. in the WORLD as opposed to in the belly - as of yesterday evening!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I can't spell tonight!!!! Or apparently even make coherent sentences!

That lake looks so gorgeous it is a travesty you could not take advantage of it!

A lovely expedition nonetheless. And congratulations on your new niece.