Sunday, February 24, 2013

Run intervals

I went to a day-long meditation retreat today, 10-5 - it was worthwhile but curiously tiring! I had blocked out time for a long run this morning, but in the event I decided just to run to Chelsea Piers and call it a day (I left a change of clothes/coat there yesterday so I wouldn't have to carry it all this morning). This was a wise choice, and it was also clear by lunchtime that I should give up any thought of checking out the 5:30pm masters swim at Chelsea Piers - much too tired.

Not a bad week, though not as copiously full of long exercise stints as I might like. c. 13 hours total (6 hours yoga, 4 classes; 7 hours triathlon, 3 runs - 16mi only total - and 3 spins, including a double, 1 short swim to test the waters). Next two weeks will be big training weeks I hope and then I will take a week pretty easy as I finish up NYC stuff and travel back to Cayman on March 13 for 10 days or so. April has many travels (for eighteenth-century conference and then for book publication stuff), so it is important to make the next six weeks worthwhile from both a work and an exercise standpoint...

:50 run, c. 5mi. (10min warmup Z1, then 6 x 4min Z3 + 1min recovery, then 10min Z2)

(I note that I need to start trying some different warmups - on this flat cool course, it is too easy for me to loll around in zone 1 and not feel warmed up till almost 25 minutes into the run - I think I am going to start doing some strides right away so that I can hit and hold zone 2 from the 10-minute mark at a minimum - alternately doing these zone 3 intervals workouts is a good way to build up some tolerance for higher efforts)

No comments: