Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ugh!

Had one of those mornings that only feels like a disaster because one is already too worn down and frazzled! Managed to turn it round mentally partway through, but it really was not good. I've been looking forward to this Wednesday 9:30 sandbox exercise class all week - I was five minutes late for it last week, I don't usually take a taxi on a weekday morning and I hadn't allowed enough time, so I made sure really to be out the door before 9 today. And then proceeded to get stuck in the worst traffic EVER! The meter ticked, I squirmed and anxietied, it got later and later - and later - ARGHHHHHH! At some point I realized that it wasn't just a question of being five minutes late, that it really was possible I might not get there till after the class was completely over! At that point I scaled back my expectations & just wanted to get there by the end to apologize to the trainer for missing class & make sure I didn't get on a blacklist for future (you register for these classes online in advance, they don't cost extra but it's a small-group thing with implied accountability).

So - I got to 9:30 class at 10:15 (after 1:15 in a cab, to go five miles, at a charge of $40 - usually it is $20-25 with tip!). Trainer very, very kindly let me join for last 15 mins of class (I jogged a few sand laps to warm up). Then I pulled myself together and ran very slowly home. Walked last bit as I felt something not quite right in left hamstring - this was prob a mistake as I am now freezingly cold, in fact should stop writing this and get in shower!

(Was wishing I'd ridden my bike down, I will next week, but en route home I checked to see if I could find my lock in the bike cage, and really I don't see it - stuck my key into about twenty identical looking ones - will buy a new one this week, and (a) mark it clearly as mine [they all look similar] and (b) not leave it there over this coming winter, as there are no guarantees it will still be there!)

I have to try and get some exercise while at this wretched conference - 2 x 30min is prob better for mental and physical health than 1 x 60 or 90, though sometimes it's more realistic just to hope for one session. Will bring 2 sets of exercise clothes & hope for the best - I had a lovely long run at "this" conference in Cleveland last year (but I was on sabbatical, so I wasn't so ground down going in); two years ago, I brought 2 sets of exercise clothes to San Antonio and used NEITHER, which I think is more what this one is likely to be!

:15 sandy skip-stride drills, misc. core
:55 easy run (c. 4.8mi)

No comments: