Monday, May 5, 2014

Best-laid plans....

I good-samaritaned my way out of a workout, arghhhh! Not sorry about it, of course, but it's a bit discombobulating. I was riding my bike down to Chelsea Piers and as I came to the 96th St. underpass from my bit of the park to the greenway, I thought for a split second "What an idiot that guy must be to have decided to change his flat right in the blind spot where a cyclist is passing from sun to shade!" A moment later I realized he'd just come down very hard off his bike; his face was very bloody, and he was quite shaken up, though he hadn't lost consciousness. He wasn't wearing a helmet, but he has promised to do so in future - definite wake-up call.

I ended up walking with him, wheeling bikes, for a mile or so to where there was a bathroom he could clean up in - I think really what someone needs after a shake-up like that is a calming interval with company and regular assessment to make sure everything's OK. He was planning to ride his bike slowly the rest of the way downtown and then walk it across to where he lived on the East Side, which seemed a feasible plan (his nose may have been broken, but he hadn't broken any teeth and I don't think he had more than a few scrapes and bruises otherwise - definitely no broken facial bones or head injury, and only minor scraping on his hands); I was making sure to remind him, though, that he could leave the park there and put the bike in a cab if he felt shaky and didn't think he was safe to ride!

By the time I left him, it was in any case too late to get to spin class, but this sort of situation always gives me an adrenalin spike and wheeziness, so really I just rode home and will get on with my work day. Might try and get to hot yoga later, or else perhaps just go for an easy run (in theory I will run tomorrow morning, but in practice my first meeting is at ten and history suggests, at this point in the semester, that I do not have a great record for getting up early enough to fulfill night-before resolutions....

No comments: