Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Short Wednesday swim

Lurking beneath my other thoughts today was a covetous desire for a lovely run outside - the weather was beautiful - but in fact, though I'm feeling much better, my head and my stomach still aren't back at 100%. Common sense, plus a host of other obligations, said I should have just a short swim this evening and wait another day before picking back up on the running thing...

(ARGHHHHH, my poor marathon training, I was doing so well last week! But rationally, I do not think this can be a real hindrance, I should just conceptualize it as giving my legs a much-needed break?!?)

This is one of only a handful of weeks in the school year where I actually could have a lane to myself! It was the last half-hour of lane swim, and school doesn't start for another two weeks, and it was very pleasant to be there quietly swimming up and down - I was in the mood for long-axis strokes, I felt I needed to stretch out my core muscles from the lingering effects of stomach-ache, usually I cannot do backstroke at evening lane swim because of crowding!

2 x (100 free, 100 double-arm back)

100 back, 100 IM (fly drill), 100 back, 100 free

Then: 2 x (3 x 100 as 100 IM, again with fly drill, 100 back, 100 free)

All pretty much at warmup pace, though frankly when one is a relatively inexperienced swimmer there is not really such a thing as zone 1 swimming, just as there is not really such a thing as zone 1 running unless it is a cool day and one is running on a flat surface with a much slower friend! Call it very easy zone 2.

1400 yards total

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had an enjoyable swim!!

Illness intervenes. Your marathon training schedule has really not been compromised -- but it likely would have been had you pushed your luck and tried to train when your body wasn't up to it!