Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday cross-training

1000 yards swim, 45 mins. gym bike

I do not know why it is so strongly in human nature to leave things till the latest possible moment, but as usual I was rushing into the swimming pool area only about 25 minutes before the pool was due to close for the day, having dallied about the place all afternoon and dragged my heels on work also till the latest possible moment...

(200 free, 100 IM kick, 200 free, 100 IM drill, 200 free, 100 IM swim, 100 back, and then time was up.)

It is easy to talk oneself into the notion that it is not worthwhile doing these small cross-training ventures, but in fact I always enjoy a swim, even a short one under annoying open lane swim conditions. Should be doing cross-training at slightly higher intensity, maybe; on the other hand, it is good to get in some easy zone 1/2 time on what is basically a recovery day. I think I will be often having a bit of a swim on Sunday evenings this fall, but that I will also hold Sundays in reserve as a day to make up a missed mid-week run (but nothing more than 3-4 easy miles) or else as a day off if I feel like I need one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A mini-brick!

And short swims can be very useful.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I am the procrastination queen! I have such powers to do so that it amazes me.