Monday, October 1, 2007

Monday-morning workout

Very sleepy! It was a good workout, though, but a little lower-key than is ideal. Couldn't stop yawning...

Interesting post-bicycle-ride observations: partly because it was such a slow and easy ride, my actual leg muscles are pretty much completely unaffected. I never really felt anything in my quads, to tell the truth! But my core and upper-body muscles are all rather tired today (from tension, I think, while clutching handlebars, plus unaccustomed body position for about five hours), I really noticed it when trying to do some of the mildly evil crunch variants I usually do without thinking twice.

Looking forward to swimming later. Must also deal with running shoe problem--the toe situation is out of control, I got a very painful blister on Friday at the end of one of my smaller toes on the right foot and it made me realize that I must get the situation in hand!

I've left it too close to the race, really. If I get new ones in the same model a half size up, I will wear them with the orthotics on Tues. and Thurs. and then use them for the race if it seems OK. If I get a different brand, I think I will take back out the last ones I had (same model as this, but I switched to the new pair in late July--those ones probably didn't have more than 300 miles on 'em, so certainly still OK) and use them minus orthotics on Saturday. Actually, probably that's the safest bet in any case. The reason not to use the current pair (in which I inserted the orthotics immmediately post-half-marathon at the end of the first week of August) is that something about my heel position with the orthotics has taken huge bites out of what I think of as the potential blister spot on the inner heel--it's through right to the hard plastic, I think these shoes are pretty much just done for...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope the swimming went well, and you solve the shoe issue.