Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wednesday yoga

A good class this afternoon (mostly backbends, plus a few miscellaneous other things); I think this teacher is excellent, though perhaps a bit more of a doer and less of an explainer (I like the explainers--but on the other hand she's an excellent show-er, it doesn't have to be in words).

I find myself slightly underenthused on yoga recently, not sure what to do about this. Maybe it's just that I haven't been doing it enough. But I also feel that I lack some quality that the really devoted yoga-doers have: it is very good, I like it very much, and yet it does not have me mentally in thrall the way swimming and running do. I think that both yoga and gym-type working out really ask you to be interested in your body almost as an aesthetic object--in the symmetries and proportions of the muscles--not regardless of function, of course, but in a configuration where form and function are intimately related in a way that feels to me a bit self-regarding. The other stuff does not seem quite so solipsistic--perhaps just because you are literally moving forward!

No comments: