Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday run

Marred only by mild indigestion--nothing serious (result, I think, of an overly large late-afternoon snack--these days when I swim early, I am kind of starving all day, only it makes it awkward to time meals with the evening run). Weather more or less hospitable--it's still in the mid-50s, perhaps a tad humid. They haven't yet turned off the water fountains in the park, but it's sure to happen any day now, must start carrying fuel belt I think...

Just under 6 miles with S., at a pleasant clip. 9:05 average pace, 7:53 max, HR average 153. Mile splits: 9:29, 9:24, 8:58, 8:52, 9:00 and not-quite-finished last mile. Felt pretty good other than the stomach stuff--I think I'm definitely at a point now where on a flat run I can do nine-minute miles quite comfortably, the Central Park course is relatively hilly so that pace feels moderately effortful. I do like running, it's so enjoyable...

NB: It is not psychologically feasible to do 8 miles on Tuesday evenings. 6 is more realistic, especially as that more or less conforms to the full loop; doing figure-8 type runs, you can add in an extra mile or so pretty easily, but more than that involves covering the same ground more than once and it is simply not sensible. So six it is, and I will make sure to find a couple spots in the week for a really short little 2-3 mile run, on treadmill if necessary--doing a couple TM miles after the Monday-morning gym workout for instance would seem to be sensible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you might be interested in this book by Rachel Toor that is just about to be published:
http://www.racheltoor.com/PersonalRecord.html.

It's about her life as a runner of ultramarathons, and has a sample chapter. The writing is off, somehow, for me--a little too "creative writing program"--but the book itself looks like something to read for runners/marathoners/triathletes.

Thanks for your blog--I'm a lurker and a very slow runner, and I enjoy reading about your enormous energy every day!

Jenny Davidson said...

Thanks for the recommendation - sounds very interesting. And good luck with the running, slow running is a very good thing!