Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday swim

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

(No time for lavish blogging, though--friend has an extra theater ticket, must be showered and out the door in about 18 minutes, arghhh!)

I followed Coach Brent's advice (with Coach Amy's endorsement) of what to do for a more race-specific workout. I warmed up for 500 yards with a mix of freestyle and freestyle drills, then did the following most delightful set (proper swimmer would find tedious, for me it is delightful because it is what I can actually do quite well and with great enjoyment--I did open turns and concentrated on form/technique):

5 x 500 at easy pace with 10 seconds rest between

Used my HR monitor to time each set. A little touch-and-go, that device is not really designed for this purpose, but it looks to me like the splits were really fairly even: 10:21, 10:35, 10:40, 10:33, 10:25.

Very comfortable--really if I had all the time in the world (and some reason to!) I would totally have done five more just the same. I would think that's about the right effort level for the race. If anything, I should go a tiny bit easier, but it's pretty much right...

Total: 3000 yards of a fully respectable and highly enjoyable persuasion

No comments: