Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday swim practice

Hmmm, overly long day, though full of good things. Just back from the theatre - good play! - only it is not sensible to wait to eat afterwards. I had a protein bar and an apple on the subway downtown to tide me over, but it proved insufficient...

Warmup (abbreviated): 200 free (skipped 200 IM drill-swim for goodish reason that I was explaining to another fellow in the lane - he did ask me, I was not just being bossy! - what the common drills are for the different strokes! I like it that I have now found a swim team where people think it is funny and useful that I am an explainer)

6 x 50 free on 1:00

4 x 25, 50, 75 (can't remember intervals: :40, 1:15, 1:40?) for fly, back, breast, choice non-free (I did back - had to skip last 50 of fly due to complete huffing and puffing system overload - led to a revelation later in practice that if I do fly and the folks ahead of me are doing free, I am fatally trying to keep up with them, whereas I can get a very nice comfortable fly going if I am behind a fastish breaststroker on a choice segment - I guess if everyone is doing the same choice non-free, you are sent off as back, fly, breast, from fastest to slowest, but if everyone is mixing it up it does not make sense to reshuffle and it is good for the form to practice it this way... to the longtime swimmers reading, this will all seem obvious, but it is quite eye-opening and novel and interesting to me!)

12 x 100 free (first six on 2:00, next four on 1:55, last two on 1:50)

5 x 50 choice non-free - free by 25 (I did 3 fly and 2 back - I think we were on 1:05)

2500 yards total

1 comment:

Unknown said...

With our gang if the whole set is choice we are not sent off in a stroke order but in a speed order. (Lots of backstrokers are faster than some flyers.)

When the strokes are mixed up as in your set, when possible we leave 10 seconds between instead of 5 to accommodate (to some degree) speed differences.

Glad to hear it was a good play, too! (I can *never* wait till after the theatre to eat.)