Saturday, June 2, 2012

Elevation

A postscript on training thoughts.  I'm going to be doing most of my bike training for the Shawangunks inside, I suspect - might try and get out to do hill repeats at Alpine (can take bike on Lamont Observatory bus so as to avoid having to ride on the dreadful path over the bridge - coming back it's not so bad, for reasons having to do with the way the approach is set up), but am not going to sweat it if that doesn't really happen.  (The surface on that road was so bad last summer that I almost couldn't deal with the downhill, but the IMNYC course includes that route and I know they either have already or will soon resurface the road.)  But the elevation profile for the Shawangunks bike leg is pretty insane. It's not a long ride, only about 28 miles, but the last five miles include over a thousand feet of elevation gain.  So I should do a two-hour trainer workout that starts easy/steady and then includes a 30- to 40-minute climb in the last part, followed by at least 30 minutes running off the bike...

1 comment:

Black Knight said...

I don't succeed in loading the elevation chart but I imagine that the uphill has to be very scary