Friday, March 22, 2013

Masters swim!

Extremely pleasant. It was touch and go whether I would make it there - the alarm went off at 5:30 and I turned it off, reset for 7 and told B. that it was too early and I was going back to sleep! However really I was awake and a few minutes later decided that I would feel too much remorse later in the day if I did not get over there (I don't have access to that sort of pool to do a workout on my own, so it's not something I can easily make up later in the day).

They have three workouts a week and this is the only morning one - I may try and go Monday evening as well, though. Swimming should be the easiest part of my Ironman training, given ambition is completion rather than speed - really if I go to masters swim twice a week, everything else is gravy. So it is appealing to think of locking it in as a default. It's definitely a little easier for me to train in NYC than here - not so hot, more options - but with a little effort I should be able to make it so that I can have an amply sufficient training week here as well.

Warmup: 100 free, 4 x (25 stroke, 25 free)

Set #1: 3 x (4 x 25), odds freestyle evens stroke, descending each set of four (I did fly drill for first pair and full stroke for second)

Set #2: 2 x (300 free, 200 free, 100 free), negative splits by effort, :30 rest

Cooldown: 100 drill-swim by 25 (front scull concentrating on loose floppy hands - as opposed to the claw-like way I had been swimming previously!)

There weren't many people there - a small enough number that we were splitting lanes rather than circle-swimming. Nice to get feedback from coach on stroke! I have three things that I know are what I most need to work on for my freestyle stroke (aside of course from there always being room for improvement on body rotation): (1) left arm tends to get very straight and flop down into water, concentrate on high-elbow recovery and pull (2) bilateral breathing is good, but on right side I slightly lift my head up - keep neck neutral and rotate along long axis rather than jerking head out of water (3) claw hands as opposed to easy floppy hands with bigger surface area.

1900 meters

No comments: