Friday, March 7, 2008

Friday swim

I was feeling so dreary all day, I really almost skipped swimming this evening--I was standing on a rainy street corner at 5:50, swimming gear in bag, torn as to what to do, I could not decide whether the voice of reason was saying swim or not swim! But I felt I couldn't afford to miss the potential mood boost that almost invariably accompanies swimming, and I am very glad I did go, it was enjoyable and useful...

Main observation: I am determined to vanquish the evil flip turn!

I did a lot of 'em this evening, they are awful, I am not doing them right, but I get a glimmer of how they should be and I am never going to be able to do them properly if I do not do them badly first...

(I am going to have another session of musing on the flip turn instructional videos at Go Swim TV. I can see quite clearly what I'm doing wrong--as soon as I flip over, my body is wrestling to come upright, so instead of coming straight off the wall on my back in that chair position I am turning over much too soon and basically coming to a complete standstill and then very slowly popping up to the surface like a cork at which point my lungs feel like they are going to explode because it is so long since I had a breath of air! So I will take some time tomorrow at the end of practice to try coming straight off the wall on my back and really waiting to flip over, that is the next thing to concentrate on... However certainly as evil as I feel them to be, and as badly as I am doing them, I am doing them much more comfortably than a couple weeks ago, so there you go...)

Warmup: 250 free, 50 back, 100 IM drill, 200 build choice (I did 25 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 75 free)

Set #1: 2 x (1 x 100 IM, with fly and breast drill; 2 x 50 free on 1:10, first one build up second one build down)

Set #2 (truncated, only had time for first five out of ten): 5 x 200

1, 2 free smooth on 4:20
3 2 x 100 solid on 2:00
4, 5 free build on 4:20

And I did all flip turns for all four of the straight two hundreds (cannot yet afford the oxygen debt when I am swimming harder for the solid 100s), so while it leads to less smoothness I think it was worth it, getting the wretched turns down is going to lead to me getting a lot more out of these swim sessions...

2000 yards, not bad...

2 comments:

Becca said...

That is a very funny description of your flip turn. Maybe E should come down and coach you. (Just asked her if she can do flip turns--she says, scornfully, "YEEAAH. But I'm not so good. I can't really come up after them without breathing. I can't really do them." So maybe you need M...)

Unknown said...

2000 yards -- pretty good!!!

I wonder if you are breathing too much of your air out while flipping -- that could be part of your breathlessness.