Sunday, January 29, 2012

Long slow run!

I had bad insomnia last night - at 3:30 I changed the alarm from 8 to 9 and gave up idea of running first thing in the morning.   (I'm not complaining, I like my job, but Monday's my big teaching day and that means I usually have at least 8 hours of work to do on Sunday - double spin yesterday morning was not conducive to a particularly productive afternoon, and I knew that if I were really underslept I'd be wise to get at lest 4-5 hours of work under my belt before embarking on exercise.)  Got out the door around 3:30 and rapidly realized that it was going to be one of those runs where you sort of wonder what the hell you're doing out there: very sunny and rather beautiful, but coolish (low 40s) and windy as well.  I was running straight into the wind on the way out, and my right Achilles was extremely sore and stiff; but once I turned around, it was much better, suddenly felt like a much calmer day and by that point the lower calf was more thoroughly warmed up.  I wanted to go quite long but did not make it, due to prudence mostly (got to get this lower calf working more smoothly); very slow, with walk intervals to make it mentally easy as I start to build mileage back up...

1:17 total run-walk (4min run, 1min walk), c. 6.5 miles?

(Garmin is frustrating me, it gives wacky HR numbers for long stretches and takes so long to capture a satellite that I can't be bothered to hang around waiting for it to locate itself, so distance is only approximate - I might need to get a new device, for the HR consistency/accuracy more than the GPS question)