Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Run!

I am laughing at myself, I am a COMPLETE idiot - when I was a Young Person, my lack of a sense of direction often sent me into a complete tizzy (I well remember the dread of having to find my way on public transportation to temp jobs in suburban Boston that really were only properly reachable by car). Now I am acclimated to it...

The Bootcamp Cayman gym I love here has done so explosively well that it's moving to a new expanded location, but unfortunately for me the new building is not nearly as accessible on foot. B. of course WOULD drive me to a couple morning classes every week, but it seems to me important when it's something optional for me to get there on my own steam, so instead he helpfully drove me along the route the other day so that I could identify turns for myself; it was my plan to run over, odometer told me it was under three miles and probably more like 2 and a bit.

(It is what anybody normal would find an idiot-proof route, but long and chagrined experience told me that I would not find it at all self-evident even though I have driven with B. along there dozens, maybe even hundreds of times!)

Hmmm, somehow it all looked different in the dark this morning....

I totally overshot, found myself all the way at the airport, turned back and asked someone in a car for directions to the Fosters Distribution Center, followed them and instead found myself at the Progressive Distribution Center (it's all that sort of airport industrial area where everything looks the same and there aren't really street addresses), set back in what I thought was the right direction - finally came to the corner where I had in retrospect initially gone astray (missed a turnoff), but by this point it was 6:45, and class had started at 6:30, so I figured I'd just run home and call it a day. Take two on Thursday - I think I can get there this time, and if not, I will just have to try again next week!

1hr fairly high-quality though warm and rather anxious run (c. 5.5mi.? Garmin battery was dead, so I don't have an exact distance)

No comments: