Thursday, January 23, 2020

The big ugh!

That illness I had about 2 weeks ago was dragging on in minor remnants but cold NYC air really gave the lungs a blow, I was feeling unexpectedly bad over the last few days. I followed David's advice and took Tuesday as an extra non-run day (just did good PT+ at home), Wednesday really didn't feel good and just did 30 as 1:1 on the track at the gym, even that was really killing my lungs, went home and went to bed instead of going to the eighteenth-century seminar (which is a whole evening's enterprise). It felt better by a few hours later, and I had a good long sleep, but still well below par.

Today I just had a short swim, because it's crucial to lay down good habits at the start of the semester and I needed to get myself in there and back in the routine, but though I would intellectually LOVE to go to a hot yoga class as well, I think I will be better off resting. Grumpy about that!

Oh yes, swim details (I was on short time anyway, for lungs and because I had to go to a job talk at noon, but really I got out even sooner when a third person wanted to come in the lane, I just didn't have the wherewithal for that!):

100 swim
100 kick
4 x 100 free drill (2 x RaLaCuBa, thumbs-and-salute, finger-drag)
2 x 50 drill-swim (back, fly)

So just 700 but really all that mattered was to get back at it. And I will do PT etc. later on at home - my 3pm appointment was canceled so yes, I think I am going home and back to bed!

(I'm not really that sick, it's all just bad lungs, but my natural mode is to be in a horizontal position with no pants on reading a book, and there is no reason why I shouldn't spend the rest of the day that way. Will be in work overload then Monday-Tuesday if I'm not getting on top of things like visiting library to get and scan some critical readings I need for seminar, but really that stuff can happen piecemeal over the next week, and though I have Duchess publicity tasks to stay on top of, for once I am really NOT trying to finish or start writing anything - I have NO essays and NO conference talks to write this semester, the Gibbon book is off my hands and I generally feel optimstic that this semester won't feel nearly as overwhelming as last semester did.)

No comments: