Thursday, November 13, 2008

The voice of reason

The trouble is that by upbringing and temperament, I am strongly inclined to ignore the voice of reason when it tells me to skip a workout. But no swimming for me this evening - I was actually on the very steps of the gym when I checked in on how I was feeling...

I realized that I have been criminally tired all week, that I have had a slight headache all day (possibly related to never having quite gotten around to eating a real meal as opposed to snacks) and that my lungs are still only at 80%. And that I already exercised for an hour and a half this morning.

So I turned away and went straight to my local sushi restaurant and had salad and sushi, which immediately relieved the headache. Then I bought a slice of carrot cake at the West Side Market (it has been a guilty recent revelation that that grocery store sells pre-packaged individual slices of cake - I cannot explain to the non-runner the extent to which marathon training has given me an appetite for cake, it is ridiculous!) which I am now going to eat as I read a detective novel and have a quiet evening at home!

(I can have a quiet swim tomorrow evening, I think, and I will go the TNYA workout on Saturday at 11 - I have missed most of the Saturday CU ones due to Saturday long runs, but I am only running six on Saturday morning, so there will be plenty of time to do both.)

3 comments:

Levi Stahl said...

Sounds like a sensible decision . . . but which detective novel?

Unknown said...

The Dreaded Voice of Reason sadly is more often than not correct! Thus I am not its biggest fan!

ShirleyPerly said...

Having heard of Spokane Al's bout with pneumonia, I myself will be listening to my body more carefully in the future too. Good for you.

Enjoy the cake!